Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Samplings

Here are a few things that might be of interest to you today.

***

For the past nine weeks I've been writing my column called Second Chances Wednesdays as part of the Never Beyond project. Don't worry. We are not through with Never Beyond, but People of the Second Chance took a break this week to show off a new project called "Labels Lie". You can check out some information about it and even watch a video of Mike Foster's inaugural Labels Lie speech by clicking here.  Next week we will be back with another bright red poster and more questions about never being beyond the reach of grace.

***

Some of you might remember that I recently took part in a Community Writing Project called Word Portraits. I wrote about my Granny. Today some of the stories that were submitted for the project are being featured over at The High Calling. You can check them out here. You can also find links to all thirty-two submissions here. I really did enjoy this project. It made me wish that we had recorded more of our family's stories before so many of our relatives were gone. It also showed me what rich histories we all have. I think anyone who thinks life is boring just needs to spend more time with family!

***

The Community Writing Project has also inspired me to write down some of my stories - my memories - before I forget important and interesting details. With inspiration from Dan King, also known as the Bible Dude, I have decided to start with stories about the mission trip to Uruguay that I went on in 1998. I'm thinking I will start a Sunday series on that and see how far it goes. In the meantime, I would urge you to start reading Dan's e-book The Unlikely Missionary. Follow that link and go to the bottom of the page where you can buy the book in Kindle, Nook, or PDF versions for only $4.99. (In the interest of disclosure, Dan might give me a free copy if I write a whole post about the book, but I am pumping it up right now just because I feel it is worth the effort.) Maybe you will find that you are a missionary right in your hometown. I would love to hear what you think of it.

***

In other news, there are two blog posts that came out today that I think you might benefit from or enjoy. Tamara posted over at A Deeper Story about going to the theater vs. going to a woman's conference. You can read that here. Sarah Markley post on her own blog about not being embarrassed of yourself. You can check that out here.

***

Those are your samplings for today. I hope you enjoy them. And in the words of Bartles and Jaymes, "Thank you for your support!"


4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm pumped to hear about you writing some of your Uruguay experiences! Thanks for the mention regarding the book, and your copy will be on it's way shortly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am eager to hear about your Uruguay experiences. Let us know when you post, OK?

    Thank you also for linking up with The High Calling's writing project. It has been such a joy getting to know you through your writing, through the network and at Laity Lodge. We appreciate your unique voice in the HC community. Keep up the God Work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great group of links. Plenty of interesting reading there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am putting together a list of fun favorites I've been reading too!

    I had every intention of participating in THC prompt...grrr. Just ran out of time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining me here.

Moral support, prayers, and witty comments always appreciated.