Thursday, October 6, 2011

Second Chance Wednesday on Thursday

So, um...yeah. Second Chance Wednesday got moved to Thursday this week. I got a little caught up in other stuff [READ: making David Dark more famous - he totally should be] and lost track of what day it was. 

In defense of my forgetfulness, People of the Second Chance threw us a little curve ball this week. No bright red Never Beyond poster to burn an image into our mind this week. No, you will have to use your imagination even more this time.

This week POTSC has given us a video to start our conversation about radical grace. Which is all fine and good, but I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to start a discussion about radical grace after I saw it. (I think I have officially become one of those I-don't-know-much-about-art-I-just-know-what-I-like people.) My first thought while watching the video was "Jeremy Cowart sure can draw fast." Not exactly profound, eh? Gotta think a little harder now.

After watching the video again, it occurred to me that I had experienced some of what I think Jeremy is telling us this past weekend. On a much smaller scale, of course. The full human experience...
My thought is that we are all humans living in a fallen world. We all have good and bad traits. Granted, these traits get highly exaggerated in some people. We are all in need of salvation. Therefore we should never act like anyone is beyond redemption - even if we see parts of them that are like Osama bin Laden, the pedophile priest, our next door neighbor (not you, Linda), or the person we see in the mirror. To put boundaries on how far God's grace should extend would be arrogant and erroneous. I know that is hard to accept sometimes. It is still hard to seek justice and love mercy (Micah 6:8) at the same time, isn't it? 

Take a look at Jeremy's video and see what you think...


PEOPLE OF THE SECOND CHANCE: DEEP DARK BLACKNESS from 
PEOPLE OF THE SECOND CHANCE on Vimeo.

Whether or not this is a type of visual art you like or connect with, the images are still powerful. The message of radical grace is still the same as always. 

Grace is for everyone. We need to keep spreading it around.

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think of the video. Also, please visit the POTSC blog and see what others are saying about it. We would love to add your voice to the movement to spread radical grace throughout God's world.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Carolyn ~ thanks for spreading the word. Everyone processes art differently and I appreciate your honesty in sharing that. For me, my wife calls me "artsy" :), I was beyond excited when POTSC announced they were partnering with Jeremy Cowart for the video. On a different level though, I read a book that referenced the story of Jonah this week and it struck me how much Jonah struggled with self-righteousness and understanding the limits of grace. And then it hit me...Jonah is completely POTSC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly Jonah... he needed POTSC in a bad way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining me here.

Moral support, prayers, and witty comments always appreciated.